Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Financial Focus

I have been following the controversy surrounding the columnist David Pogue and his technological writing. (http://www.cjr.org/news_meeting/whose_line_is_it_anyway.php) He has been a huge proponent of the Mac operating system for some time and it has recently come to light that he has a considerable personal financial stake in Apple. As a long time reader of David Pogue I now have to reflect on all the decisions that he has influenced through his expert technological opinion. It amazes me that these people still tread into these dangerous waters when it seems so obvious that they will eventually be caught. However, the pessimist in me must ask, would these people take the risk if at least some of them were not getting away with it. Especially with all the recent financial debacles, I think that it would be prudent to beef up efforts to verify journalistic opinions. The task would be huge considering that there are no shortage of 24/hour financial networks and publications galore of personal finance. I feel that at least a dialogue on this is very relevant.

1 comment:

poguenyt said...

When you say I have a "considerable financial stake in Apple," I assume you're talking about my book series? Which also covers Microsoft, Adobe, Quicken, digital cameras, and so on?

I haven't been "caught!" The Missing Manual series pre-dated my job at the Times, and the newspaper knew when it hired me that I intended to keep writing the how-to books.

Not only has nothing new "come to light," but let me ask you this: Do you really believe that I would attempt to inflate my sales how-to books by manipulating my reviews of those products?

Do you even think that would work?

If so, I think you're overestimating (a) how many people buy computer books, (b) how stupid people are, (c) my willingness to sacrifice my entire credibility for a couple more 80-cent royalties. It sounds pretty far-fecthed to me.

--Pogue