Monday, September 14, 2009

Ethical Debate over Recent Classroom Discussion

Los Angeles – It was an early start to my day as I ponder the on-going decision whether to publish the story of Lance Cpl. Joshua Bernard, 21, who subsequently died from his sustained injuries.

The story is of great political importance to our society in that it depicts gruesome acts in Afghanistan as our Military fight for us and war has shifted geographically, but never come to closure. We have been coddled as a nation in believing that the worst is over.

In my twenty eight years on this earth – I have heard this expression far too often, but since the horrible factors that exist within this world never conclude in discussion, shall I assume they just don’t exist? I haven’t heard much about the ‘oil crisis’ or the ‘Environmental Overcrowding’, so I guess they have been taken care of. I hear more about the ‘Swine Flu’ than the ‘AIDS Epidemic’ – so I guess I will be fine if I can just miss that strain of flu.

The release of this image with Corporal Bernard as the subject is a necessary evil. It may seem that subjecting the family of the deceased as intolerable cruelty; however as a nation, we can remember that Family Planning and Environmental research are still problems; condoms are necessary; war is painful.

General Patton quoted in 1947, “Officers must set the example.” I perceive this as a direct loss of anonymity amongst the wishes of Corporal Bernard’s family regarding his passing. These officers are leaders when they enter the Military and will always be honored.

Adam Hamilton

No comments: