Tuesday, September 22, 2009

doctored Iraq photo


TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2009

Brian Walski's doctored image (top photo)





































Hi Franklin and Classmates,
About six years ago Brian Walski, a photojournalist covering the Iraq war as a staffer for the L.A. Times doctored a photo. He Photoshopped two consecutive images to make one very dynamic image. This shocked the photojournalism world. Brian had worked in Boston for several years before heading out to LA. so the buzz in Boston was just as loud as there. Ethically, I can't think of many other incidents as wrong as this one. But at the same time I sympathize with Brian because of the stressful conditions under which he working. here is a quote from an interview he gave shortly afterward. (The full posting is listed at the URL below) "The Times is such a high quality operation. Nobody would think of doing this. I wake up in the morning and can't believe that I did it, that it's happening to me. But I did, and I can't blame anybody but myself. We were in Iraq at that point for six days. We were sleeping in our car. It was the most intense kind of--we didn't have any place to stay. There was no safe haven of any kind where you could kind of relax and get a good night's sleep. It was constant tension. Maybe that led to it, but I can't say that it did".
I think I would have made some very bad decisions under those circumstances, too. But having worked with Brian, and thinking back,
I remember that he occasionally acted a little defiant toward the editors, so it makes me wonder if getting away with some lesser infractions led to this much bigger one. Either way his actions were quite wrong and he deserved to be fired.


http://www.allbusiness.com/retail-trade/miscellaneous-retail-retail-stores-not/4450879-1.html

No comments: