Sunday, October 25, 2009

Who’s The Guilty Party?

As a journalist I learn that a local high school girl’s basketball coach has been repeatedly accused of sexual misconduct and has left previous schools under a cloud of suspicion. The teacher is pressured to leave the school and plans to move on to teach somewhere else. There has been no police involvement with the coach and he pleads with me to not write a story because he may kill him self over the potential scandal it may cause.

At first I thought writing the article would not be a good idea. I would not want to be responsible for the death of an innocent man. However something peaks my interest about this story. Why is this individual being accused not once but on several occasions? If he is being wrongly accused there should be an outlet for this coach to profess his innocence. If students are wrongly accusing this man of misconduct then they should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Moreover, the schools that are pressuring the teacher to leave should also be held accountable. Is it possible rumors are following this coach from his first school to all of the others he goes to? If so the rumor and the individual who started it should be exposed. If this man is truly innocent I know if it were me those who are making my life a living hell should be held accountable.
The fact that there has been no police involvement makes me want to find out more about the possible innocence of this individual. So at the very least as a journalist I would want to sit down and talk to the coach. The coach at least owes it to me to explain his side of the story. I would do my best to convince him that ignoring the problem will not make it go away. He has every right to defend himself from these accusations and I could be that person who could help him clear his name.

No comments: