Sunday, October 25, 2009

Journalism Oversight

Journalism is in dire straights. Newspapers are being decimated and bloggers are taking over the internet with their own interpretation of the news. As an individual I can trade my own stocks without a license, stock brokers cannot. As an individual I can sell my own house, however if I use a Realtor, they must be properly licensed as well. As an individual, I can post my interpretation of the news, but as an official reporter that wants to work with the New York Times, or Boston Globe, why shouldn’t I have a license to report the news? Finding those who are true professionals in the field of journalism is going to be more and more difficult as the news transfers completely to the internet. I know what you are thinking; the news can’t possibly completely transfer to the internet! I believe it will and it makes it that much more important to differentiate from opinion to true news reporting. Some will say that this takes away from the freedom of the press. I would say it does not. The licensure of the press is simply to police those who do not adhere to ethics already put in place by the industry. Not to take away the freedoms afforded by the Constitution. The regulatory decisions would be made by journalists, and held accountable by their peers. This would avoid the possibility of the government in Washington controlling the press or giving such an impression. Journalism must be regulated to a degree. Self regulation has not worked and will never work. An unregulated Wall Street is a perfect example. Even Alan Greenspan admitted he underestimated human nature and it’s inevitability to cheat and cut corners. While the majority plays by the rules, there are a few who just can’t do the right thing and ruin it for everyone else.

No comments: