Monday, October 12, 2009

Foreign Prejudice

In regards to police seizing barrels of chemicals of young foreign men living in town and then their subsequent questioning, I think this is a tough one to report on. If the lawyer asks that I do not report based on anti-foreign prejudices, I would have to take that into serious consideration. I go back to my earlier post “Guilty Until Proven Innocent”, where reporting a story with the names of arrested individuals without conviction can lead to devastating results. If the police are simply questioning these young men, I believe the story should still be written however without the individuals’ names and locations. Without a formal charge or indictment I would find it difficult to release the names of these young kids and have the public unduly treat them as terrorists. Without absolute proof of guilt of the group the lawyer representing them is correct in that individual's prejudices would convict them in the court of public opinion rather than a court of law. There is simply too much to lose.

No comments: