Monday, December 7, 2009

The Tiger Woods Drama

When I first read about Tiger Woods’ auto accident I really didn't think much of it. Like most I just thought it was a minor car crash and that's that. However the story continued to unfold and went from a simple car accident to a major scandal involving adultery. As I write this post the number of women Woods has been linked to is up to six.
Woods's original message on his website mentioned the crash and that any publication that his wife abused him was false and malicious. Fair enough I thought. More importantly he insisted it was a private matter and in the beginning. I agreed 100%. Then as the story continued to unfold I quickly changed my mind on the matter. I have great respect for Tiger Woods as a golfer and as a philanthropist. He has incredible work ethic and has done great things for charity. He has also been looked upon as a role model for many and a deity for what is great about golf itself as a sport. In other words many fans believe golfers are moral upstanding people who don't get into trouble like other professional athletes. That is what bothers me, and I believe many other fans of Tiger Woods.

Woods has made hundreds of millions of dollars in endorsement money not only for his golfing skills, but for his picture-perfect image as a moral dedicated family man. The fact that Woods has made so much money on his image I believe is why there are so many people displeased with his actions. It is also why his wall of privacy has imploded. Loyal fans that have purchased products from his endorser's are feeling cheated themselves along with his spouse. Woods has tarnished the image of golf and what it represents. It’s popularity has been dented and quite possibly irreparably damaged from this incident. Unfortunately for those fans this scandal could quite possibly make Woods more popular and watched by people than ever before.

2 comments:

Andrew Carpenter said...

No one in golf is Wilt Chamberlain, but at 33 Tiger is going to have to pick up his pace to warp speed if he's going to attempt to rival to the PGA superstars from the 1960's, 70s and 80s.

My guess is his attorney will tell him that some records should remain hallowed.

Andrew Porter said...

I recently read an article where tiger had spoken about Michael Vick and the time lapse between the arrest and a public apolgy. It was very interesting seeing how it took Tiger over 5 days to issue a statement on his website and he has not made a public interview to date.

First, I'd like to propose a question... Does Tiger Woods need to apoligize to the public?

I am under the impression that he was unfaithful to his wife, not the public. This is a private matter that Tiger and his family should be dealing with behind closed doors. He is not an elected official, therefore he owes nothing to you and I, no even an apology.

Sure, I'm as upset that I wont see Tiger dominating the PGA and I hope that he gets things settled and will be back soon. Then again, I have been watching him do this for 10+ years, so maybe a change won't be so bad!